We updated employers on their obligations under Washington’s new paid family leave law in our December alert here. As a reminder, the law requires employers with Washington employees to start collecting premiums and reporting employee data as of January 1, 2019. The program is funded by premiums totaling 0.4% of gross wages and those premiums are shared between employers, paying 36.67% of the total premium, and employees, paying the remaining 63.33%.
Employers who do not elect to cover the employee portion must withhold the employee portion from employees’ paychecks, and pay the total premiums to the Employment Security Department (ESD). Keep in mind that employers with less than 50 Washington employees are not required to pay the employer portion of the premiums, but will still be required to collect, record, and remit the employees’ premiums to the state. Employers are also required to report employee hours and wages to the ESD.
Employers were originally required to pay premiums and provide employee reports for Quarter 1 by this April to the ESD. However, the ESD recently announced that the timeline was delayed and employers will now remit premiums and reports for Quarter 1 between July 1 and July 31 this year. Quarter 2 premiums and reports are also currently due in July. The state is still in the process of setting up employers’ Paid Family and Medical Leave customer accounts where employers will login to remit premiums and upload reports on employees. The ESD’s announcement also encourages employers to send this updated timeline information to employer accountants, payroll companies, and other employer agents that may be withholding these premiums for the employer.
For questions on Washington Paid Family and Medical Leave, contact Barran Liebman attorneys Kyle Abraham at email@example.com or Nicole Elgin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Electronic Alerts are written by Barran Liebman attorneys for their clients and friends. Alerts are not intended as legal advice, but as employment law, labor law, and employee benefits announcements. If this has been forwarded to you, and you would like to begin receiving Electronic Alerts directly, please email or call Traci Ray at 503-276-2115. Copyright ©2019 by Barran Liebman LLP.
Las Alertas electrónicas son escritas por abogados de Barran Liebman para sus clientes y amigos. Las Alertas no son proveídas como asesoramiento legal, sino solo como anuncios de leyes de empleo, leyes laborales y beneficios de empleo. Si esto ha sido remetido a usted y quisieras empezar a recibir las Alertas directamente, por favor mándanos un correo electrónico o llama a Traci Ray al 503-276-2115. Derechos de autor ©2019 por Barran Liebman LLP.