Anthony graduated with honors from Lewis and Clark Law School. While in school, he served two years as an editor for the Lewis and Clark Law Review and was inducted into the Cornelius Honor Society in recognition of his scholarship, leadership, and contributions to the community. In his law practice, Anthony has represented numerous clients of all sizes and from every part of the Northwest. He is committed to helping businesses address the daily challenge of compliance and responding to claims, while not losing sight of the underlying key: that you have a company to run. Anthony’s dedication to his clients has been recognized by Oregon Super Lawyers Magazine, which has designated him as a “Rising Star” for five consecutive years; an achievement reserved for the top 2.5% of attorneys under 40.
In addition to his legal practice, Anthony is a founding member of the Portland, Oregon “Men Go Red” chapter of the American Heart Association, which raises funds and awareness for women’s heart health issues. Anthony has also been a Rotary past president, homeowners association past president, and an Executive Committee Member for the Oregon State Bar New Lawyers Division, which helps new attorneys transition from school to practice.
Anthony is admitted to practice in Oregon, Washington, U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon, and U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington.
- Very favorably resolved class action and discrimination claims against a promotions company.
- Successfully defended global shipping company in Federal District Court and at a subsequent NLRB hearing in King County Washington.
- Helped large multi-national client avoid trial by winning summary judgment on a number of protected leave and ethnic discrimination claims brought by former employee.
- Investigated, defended and achieved highly favorable outcomes for Oregon transportation companies relating to safety and retaliation claims.
- Represented high profile college with respect to novel Title IX claims brought by former student.
- Represented a major logging company against claims after violation of employer liability law statute
- Successfully investigated and defended retaliation claims arising from alleged WISHA and OSHA violations for a large national corporation’s Washington operations.
- Significant experience as lead attorney for numerous depositions, mediations, arbitrations, and trials.
Professional Experience and Affiliations▲▼
- Oregon State Bar: Uniform Civil Jury Instructions Committee, Member (2017-present)
- Oregon New Lawyers Division, Executive Committee (2010-present)
- American Bar Association Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section: TIPS Now! Fellow (2017-2018); Labor and Employment Committee, Vice-Chair (2017-present); Dispute Resolution General Committee, Vice-Chair (2017-present); Outreach to Young Lawyers Standing Committee, Member (2017-present); Ethics and Professionalism Standing Committee, Member (2017-present)
- Multnomah Bar Association: Member (2009-present)
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel: Member (2009-2016)
- J.R. Campbell Inns of Court: President (2012-2013); Member (2009-2015)
- Redmond Rotary International Club: President (2013-2014); Member (2009-2015)
- Westview Villas Homeowners Association: President (2013-2014); Board Member (2011-2014)
- Lewis & Clark Law School: Mentor of the Year (2016)
- Oregon Super Lawyers Magazine: Rising Star (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Oregon State Bar: Oregon New Lawyers Division Member Services Award (2014)
- Oregon Paralegal Association Annual Convention: “Case Law Update: Veterans’ Weekend Edition,” Presenter (11/11/17)
- BOLI’s 33rd Annual Employment Law Conference: “Labor & Employment Law Update,” Presenter (11/6/17)
- Oregon School Personnel Association - TSPC-ODE Workshop: “Oregon’s New Pay Equity Law: Taking a Closer Look,” (10/20/17)
- TPD Webinar: “Why Employers Need to Care about Equal Pay,” Presenter (10/18/17)
- Oregon New Lawyer Division: Featured Presenter at Lew & Clark Law School (10/10/17)
- Barran Liebman LLP Annual Seminar: “The View From Yonder Mountain (Case Law Update),” Presenter (10/5/17)
- Association of Corporate Counsel CLE Meeting: “Oregon’s New Pay Equity Law,” Presenter (9/14/17)
- Portland Metro Payroll Association Meeting: “What Payroll Executives Need to Know About Pay Equity,” Presenter (7/19/17)
- Barran Liebman Food for Thought Breakfast Seminar: “Game Changers: Legislative Updates,” Presenter (7/11/17)
- Barran Liebman Bend Seminar Series: “Oregon’s Pay Equity Act of 2017: Best Practices Guide for Employers,” Presenter (6/9/17)
- Super Saturday Oregon State Bar Conference: “Networking: How to Distinguish Yourself from the Pack,” Presenter (6/3/17)
- Forest Resources Association: “Employment and Labor Issues Affecting our Industry,” Presenter (5/18/17)
- OSWAHCR Meeting: “Legal Update,” Presenter (4/13/17)
- 2017 NW EEO Annual Employment Law Update: “Employment Law Update,” Presenter (3/7/17)
- Executive HR Conference: “The Shifting Sands of Employment Law: What CHROs Need to Know Today for Tomorrow,” Presenter (3/10/17)
- PHRMA November Luncheon: “Recent Changes and Emerging Trends in Employment Law,” Presenter (11/16/16)
- BOLI’s 32nd Annual Employment Law Conference: “Case Law Update,” Presenter (11/23/16)
- Oregon Paralegal Association Annual Convention: “Employment Law Trends,” Presenter (11/5/16)
- Oregon State Bar – Becoming an Experienced Litigator CLE: “Document Discovery for the Digital Age,” Presenter (11/1/16)
- Barran Liebman Annual Latino Seminar: “Changes in Overtime: New Regulations to Impact Millions of Workers,” Presenter (10/25/16)
- Barran Liebman Annual Seminar: “Unusual Roadside Attractions: Case Law Update,” Presenter (10/6/16)
- Northwest EEO: “Labor & Employment Law Update,” Presenter (1/12/16)
- Oregon Paralegal Association: “Labor & Employment Law Update,” Presenter (11/18/15)
- BOLI’s 31st Annual Employment Law Conference: “Labor & Employment Law Update,” Presenter (11/2/15)
- Barran Liebman’s 2nd Annual Latino Employment Law Seminar: “Up in Smoke: Navigating Marijuana & the Workplace,” Presenter (10/28/15)
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel 2015 Annual Convention: “Mad Money: Civil Procedure & Summary Judgment on Causation,” Presenter (6/20/15)
- “Employers Take Note: Part of New Pay Equity Act to Take Effect Today,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, October 6, 2017
- “Recent Legal Developments,” Oregon Civil Rights Newsletter, June 2017
- “Governor Signs Sweeping Pay Equity Law,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, June 1, 2017
- “The Latest Trend in Lawsuits Against Employers: Stressed Out Employees,” TIPS Committee News, Spring 2017
- “Recent Updates,” Oregon Civil Rights Newsletter, April 2017
- “Don’t Get Caught in the Independent Contractor Trap,” Cascade Business News, February 15, 2017
- “Recent Updates,” Oregon Civil Rights Newsletter, December 2016
- “Lessons Learned From Inappropriate ‘Locker-Room Banter’,” Daily Journal of Commerce, October 26, 2016
- “Recent Updates,” Oregon Civil Rights Newsletter, September 2016
- “The Latest Trend in Lawsuits Against Employers: Stressed-Out Employees,” Cascade Business News, July 20, 2016
- “Recent Updates,” Oregon Civil Rights Newsletter, June 2016
- “New OSHA Rule for Tracking Workplace Injuries Finalized,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, May 16, 2016
- “Prepare Now for Oregon’s Ban-The-Box Law,” Daily Journal of Commerce, September 30, 2015
- “Recent Decisions,” Oregon Civil Rights Newsletter, September 2015
- “DOL Aims to Crack Down on Employer Misclassification of Employees,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, July 15, 2015
- “Recreational Marijuana & Work: Past Policies Won’t Go ‘Up in Smoke’,” Cascade Business News, June 17, 2015
- “Update your FMLA Forms! DOL Publishes New FMLA Forms Referencing Genetic Testing,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, June 3, 2015
- Lewis & Clark Law School: Moot Court Judge (2017)
- American Heart Association Men Go Red Portland Chapter: Chair (2017-present); Founding Board Member (2016-present)
- Portland City Boxing: Fitness Instructor (2016-present)
- Redmond Hospice: Camp Sunrise Counselor (2011-2014)
- Big Brother, Big Sister: Mentor (2006-2012)