Before joining Barran Liebman, Charlotte worked for multiple judges in the United States District Court both in California and Oregon—most recently as a law clerk to the Honorable Janice M. Stewart and the Honorable Youlee Yim You. Having trained to analyze complex cases, she now studies client stories to create the narrative that is key to a winning legal strategy.
Charlotte’s practice includes working closely with employers to develop workplace policies, provide proactive advice and counsel, and defend clients under a broad range of local, Oregon, California, and federal employment laws.
- Briefed and argued motion to dismiss on behalf of hospital client that brought a quick and very favorable settlement.
- Counsel for International Software Brand: Advised in acquisition of California company, and developed restrictive covenants and invention assignment agreements for transferred employees.
- Counsel for Nonprofit Business: Defeated employee complaint on behalf of medical client filed with Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) and US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission with claims of discrimination based on gender and use of Oregon paid sick leave. BOLI dismissed the complaint 3 days after receiving our position statement.
- Counsel for Private Business: Resolved workers’ compensation claim on behalf of healthcare client with a favorable settlement for one-third the value of the claim.
- Counsel for Private University: Represented a liberal arts university in Department of Education Office of Civil Rights investigation regarding website accessibility.
- Counsel for County Government: Successfully defended government entity deposition regarding highly complex issues relating to medical leave retaliation, ADA compliance, and protection of sensitive attorney-client privileged information.
- Counsel for Public University: Represented a state university before the Oregon Court of Appeals regarding FERPA privacy and PECBA duties, in addition to preparing the amicus brief filed on behalf of public education institutions.
Professional Experience and Affiliations▲▼
- Oregon State Bar: Pro Bono Committee, Member (2017-present); Labor and Employment Section, Member (2013-present)
- Multnomah Bar Association: Member (2017-present)
- California State Bar: Labor and Employment Law Section, Member (2017-present)
- Oregon Women Lawyers: Working Parents Subcommittee, Member (2013-present)
- Oregon Law Review: Maxine Lee Award for Editorial Excellence (2012)
- CLE for Oregon State Bar Accreditation: “Oregon Legal Citation and Form,” Presenter (3/20/17)
- “Employers Prepare: OregonSaves Launching in July”, Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, June 8, 2017
- “Trump Ousts Labor Department’s Blacklisting Rule,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, March 28, 2017
- “Minding the Difference Between Noncompetition and Nonsolicitation Agreements,” Cascade Business News, March 23, 2017
- “When Weather Wreaks Havoc: An HR professional’s guide for all of those inclement weather days,” HR.com, March 20, 2017
- “Lack of ADA Accommodation Request May Not Matter,” Daily Journal of Commerce, December 23, 2016
- “Oregon Sick Leave Law Update,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, December 13, 2016
- “EEOC Issues Updated Guidelines on National Origin Discrimination,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, November 23, 2016
- Boys and Girls Club of Metropolitan Portland: Associate Board Member (2017-present)
- University of Oregon Law School Alumni Association: Portland Committee (2017-present)