In addition to his litigation experience, Chris is a frequent speaker, author, and adviser in a variety of media, including the Daily Journal of Commerce and Cascade Business News. He is passionate about helping businesses succeed, and provides interactive trainings on topics related to management, employment law, legal policy, and compliance.
Chris graduated cum laude with a B.A. in Political Science from Washington State University and his J.D., cum laude, from the Gonzaga University School of Law, where he was the class commencement speaker and received the Dean’s Distinguished Achievement scholarship.
Chris is actively involved in the community, where he serves on the Ambassador Board for the First Tee of Portland and will begin a term on the Board of Director’s for the Portland Children’s Museum in the summer of 2019.
- Counsel for Private Company: Represented company against claims alleging retaliation, failure to accommodate, wrongful discharge, and negligent infliction of emotional distress. Obtained dismissal with prejudice on all claims.
- Counsel for Private Corporation: Represented large, multi-national corporation against claims alleging retaliation, age discrimination, and breach of contract.
- Counsel for Private Corporation: Represented large, multi-national corporation against claims alleging retaliation and national origin discrimination.
- Counsel for Public University: Represented University against federal claims alleging retaliation and national origin discrimination.
- Counsel for Public County: Represented large Public County against claims alleging harassment, hostile work environment, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
- Counsel for Non-Profit Corporation: Represented large Non-Profit against claims alleging retaliation and hostile work environment.
- Counsel for Non-Profit Corporation: Represented large Non-Profit against claims alleging disability discrimination.
- Counsel for Private Company: Represented agricultural organization against state and federal claims alleging breach of contract, unlawful deductions, and overtime violations.
Professional Experience and Affiliations▲▼
- American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division: Labor & Employment Committee: Co-Chair (2018-2019); Law Student Outreach Team: Vice-Coordinator (2018-2019); Emerging Leaders Program (2017-2018)
- Graduate of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy: Deposition Skills (2018)
- Barran Liebman Client Training: “Supervisor/Manager Training,” Presenter (6/4/19)
- Barran Liebman Breakfast Seminar: “6 in 60: Advanced HR Strategies & Best Practices for 2019,” Presenter (5/14/19)
- Barran Liebman Client Training: “Advanced Supervisor Training,” Presenter (5/8/19)
- Mid-Willamette SHRM Seminar: “Harassment in the Workplace”; “Conducting an Internal Workplace Investigation,” Presenter (4/19/19)
- SAIF 2019 Workers’ Compensation Seminar: “Employment Law Basics,” Presenter (4/3/19)
- Oregon Governor’s Occupational Safety & Health Conference: “Employment Law Best Practices,” Presenter (3/6/19)
- Associated Oregon Loggers Annual Convention: “Employment Law Best Practices,” Presenter (1/19/19)
- American Payroll Association Portland Metro Chapter: “A Discussion on Pay Equity,” Presenter (11/28/18)
- Barran Liebman Client Training: “Workers’ Compensation & ADA Accommodation Law,” Presenter (11/2/18)
- Oregon Golf Course Owners Association Conference: “Golf Course Management: Employment Law & Liability,” Presenter (10/28/18)
- Barran Liebman Client Training: “Safety Training & Employment Law Basics,” Presenter (10/24/18)
- American Payroll Association Fall Conference: “Payroll Paradise: Deductions, Garnishments, & Oregon’s New Pay Equity Law,” Presenter (10/5/18)
- Barran Liebman Annual Seminar: “CANOE Survive an ICE Audit? Best Practices for I-9 Compliance & Immigration and Customs Enforcement Interactions,” Presenter (9/27/18)
- Oregon Workers’ Compensation Annual Educational Conference: “Navigating Marijuana in the Workplace,” Presenter (9/26/18)
- Barran Liebman Interactive Pay Equity Roundtable: “Oregon’s Equity Laws,” Co-Presenter (7/23/18; 7/24/18; 8/14/18)
- Mid-Willamette Human Resource Association: “Labor & Employment Law Update,” Presenter (7/10/18)
- Rogue Valley SHRM Annual Legal Seminar: “Labor & Employment Law Update,” Presenter (5/16/18)
- Mid-Willamette Valley SHRM Meeting: “Effective Discipline & Discharge,” Presenter (4/24/18)
- National Electrical Contractors Association: “Employee Handbooks, Workplace Investigations & Documenting Discipline,” Presenter (4/19/18)
- National Business Institute Human Resource Law Boot Camp: “Employee Handbooks & Policies in the 21st Century”; “Social Media Policies: Balancing Employer Needs & Employee Rights,” (3/12/18)
- TPD Webinar: “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: What Your Business Needs to Know,” (2/21/18)
- Barran Liebman Client Training, “HR Essentials: Legislative Updates and Best Practices,” (2/15/18)
- Barran Liebman Client Training, “Sexual Harassment Culture Shift: Your Business, Your People, Your Work Environment,” (2/14/18)
- Northwest EEO: “Employment Law Update,” Presenter (1/16/18)
- National Business Institute Seminar on Human Resource Law From Start to Finish: “Employment Law Update,” Presenter (10/11/17)
- “Marijuana Policies in the Workplace: What Employers Need to Know,” Cascade Business News, April 17, 2019
- “Breaking the ICE: Workplace Audits Are on the Rise,” Daily Journal of Commerce, September 28, 2018
- “Supreme Court Hands Down Highly Anticipated Public Accommodation Ruling,” Cascade Business News, June 20, 2018
- “New Legislations Taking Effect Starting July 1, 2018,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, June 29, 2018
- “California Supreme Court Imposes Legal Duty of Care on Universities,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, April 13, 2018
- “More Changes to Come in 2018,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, January 11, 2018
- “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: What Your Business Needs to Know,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, December 28, 2017
- “Employment Expectations: Free Speech & the Workplace,” Cascade Business News, December 20, 2017
- “Recent Decisions,” Oregon Civil Rights Newsletter, December 2017
- “Recent Legal Developments,” Oregon Civil Rights Newsletter, September 2017
- The Portland Opera’s Young Patron Society: Member (2018-present)
- The First Tee of Greater Portland: Ambassador Board, Member (2018-present)