Shayda is active with the Multnomah Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Section, both as an officer of the Board and as its Delegate to the American Bar Association. She is active with the American Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division, serving as the District Representative for Oregon and Washington, and as Vice-Chair of the Labor and Employment Committee. Shayda is also a co-chair of the Campaign for Equal Justice, which is the fundraising arm for Legal Aid Services of Oregon. She is a proud Board Member of Andisheh Center for Iranian cultural heritage, and chairs Andisheh Center’s Public Relations Committee. Shayda has been listed as a “Rising Star” by Oregon Super Lawyers since 2014.
Shayda earned her B.S. at Portland State University, and her J.D. at Boston University School of Law. She is licensed to practice in Oregon, the U.S. District of Oregon, and Massachusetts.
- Counsel for Public University: Represent University in high-profile whistleblower retaliation and employment discrimination suit; obtained favorable settlement through multi-day mediation.
- Counsel for Private University: Represent University in response to student complaint filed with the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights.
- Counsel for International Sportswear Brand: Defend against invasive discovery and depositions in suit for misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of contract, and business tort litigation.
- Counsel for National Software Developer: Policy and advice regarding complying with Federal requirements.
- Counsel for Oregon Law Firm: Former employee breach of fiduciary duty and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Counsel for Private College: Represent College in high-profile Title IX case by former student; direct and conduct complex and voluminous E-Discovery.
- Counsel for Oregon Coop: Advice on employee termination; represent client in subsequent mediation; negotiate severance and settlement.
Professional Experience and Affiliations▲▼
- Multnomah Bar Association: Young Lawyers Section Board of Directors, Secretary (2016-present); Young Lawyers Section Delegate to the ABA Young Lawyers Division (2016-present); Young Lawyers Section, Member (2015-present); Entrepreneur Committee, Chair (2013-2014); Membership Committee, Member (2013-2015); Member (2013-present)
- American Bar Association: Member (2014-present)
- American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division: District Representative, Oregon and Washington (2016-present); Scholar (2016-2017); Labor and Employment Committee, Vice Chair (2016-present); Member Services Project Team, Member (2016-present); Oregon Delegate (2016-present); Member (2014-present)
- Campaign for Equal Justice: Associates Committee, Co-Chair (2016-present); Associates Committee, Member (2013-present)
- Oregon Women Lawyers: Member (2014-present)
- The City Club of Portland: Member (2014)
- OWLS Rainmaking Mentoring Program: Member (2014)
- Women in Insurance and Financial Services: Programs Committee (2015-present); Member (2015-present)
- Northwest Association of Title IX Administrators: Member (2015-present)
- American Bar Association: Young Lawyers Division Minority in the Profession Scholarship Recipient (2016)
- Oregon Super Lawyers Magazine: Rising Star (2015-present)
- Multnomah Bar Association: Young Lawyers Section Award of Merit (2014)
- Barran Liebman Annual Seminar: “License & Registration? How Failing to Produce Requested Documents Could Leave You Stranded,” Presenter (10/6/16)
- Women in Insurance & Financial Services (WIFS) Portland Metro Chapter - Lunch & Learn: “Becoming a Catalyst: How did Following the Advice Help Our Members?” Panelist (7/21/16)
- Oregon State Bar CLE - Problem Employee Discipline, Documentation and Discharge: “Recent Federal and State Legislation and Cases Affecting Oregon Employers,” Presenter (4/15/16)
- 2015 Oregon Paralegal Association Annual Convention: “Employment Law – Hiring, Firing & Administrative Oversight,” Presenter (11/7/15)
- Barran Liebman’s 2nd Annual Latino Employment Law Seminar: “Wage and Hour: DOL Rules on Salary and Overtime,” Presenter (10/28/15)
- OPB’s Think Out Loud: “Governor Signs Domestic Workers Bill of Rights,” Presenter (6/18/15)
- Multnomah Bar Association: “Managing People: Developing Fruitful Employee Relationships and What to Do if it Doesn’t Work Out,” Moderator (5/20/15)
- Iranian American Professional Society of Oregon: “Best Practices for a Successful Workplace,” Presenter (1/8/15)
- National Business Institute: Employment Law 2014 Comprehensive Guide: “Managing Employee Leaves of Absence,” Presenter (2014)
- Featured in “Job Sculpting for Lawyers: Increasing Attorney Engagement,” Law Practice Today: The Talent Management Issue, November 14, 2016
- “Walking your Client through the New DOL Salary Levels,” American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division Labor and Employment Law Committee’s 101 Practice Series, November 8, 2016
- “Document Discovery Can Make or Break Your Case,” Cascade Business News, October 19, 2016
- “ABA Annual Meeting: Highlights and Upcoming Programs,” Multnomah Lawyers, September 2016
- “Discovery Violations: Dooming Your Defense,” Oregon Business Magazine, September, 2016
- “Got Employees? Got Changes: Barran Liebman Announces Recent Changes in Employment Law,” WIFS 2016 Brag Blast Newsletter, August 25, 2016
- “Employment Law Updates to Account for in 2016,” Daily Journal of Commerce, July 22, 2016
- “New Overtime Requirements: Department of Labor Announces Final Rule,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, May 18, 2016
- “The Top Five Reasons We Love Being Female Lawyers,” Law Practice Today: The Women in Law Issue, March 14, 2016
- “Oregon Legislature Passes New Itemized Paystub Requirements and Wage Theft Bill,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, March 4, 2016
- “Paying the Big Bucks: Proposed Overtime Rules,” Oregon Business Magazine, September 2015
- “Long-Awaited Proposed Overtime Rules Unveiled by the DOL,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, June 30, 2015
- “Mandatory Sick Time for All of Oregon,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, June 17, 2015; Republished in Mondaq, June 29, 2015
- “Employee Discipline and Termination,” LawyerIssue Magazine, Spring 2015; Republished in Legal & Compliance Excellence Essentials, May 2015
- “The Fine Line in the Interview Process,” Daily Journal of Commerce, February 27, 2015
- “Goodbye Futures, Hello Entrepreneurs,” Multnomah Lawyer, January 2015
- “Top Five Principles of Discipline & Termination,” Cascade Business News, November 19, 2014
- “Exempt or Non-Exempt: New Recordkeeping and Reporting under OSHA,” Legal & Compliance Excellence Essentials, October 2014
- “Exempt or Non-Exempt? That is the Question. New Recordkeeping and Reporting under OSHA,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, September 23, 2014
- “Everybody’s Got the Fever: Sick Leave Comes to Eugene,” Legal & Compliance Excellence Essentials, September 2014
- “The Benefits of Community Service … to the Lawyer,” Law Practice Today, September 2014
- Wills for Heroes: Coordinator (November 2013); Volunteer Attorney (October 2013)
- Legal Aid Services of Oregon: Tax Clinic: In-House Volunteer Attorney (2012-2013)
- Andisheh Center: Board of Directors (2015-present); Public Relations Committee, Chair (2015-present); Member (2014-present)