Prior to joining Barran Liebman, Julie completed an externship for Chief Justice Walters, an internship for Honorable Magistrate Judge John V. Acosta, and also served as a law clerk with the United States Attorney’s Office. Actively involved in the community, Julie serves as a board member of Oregon Women Lawyers Foundation and a member of the Oregon Women Lawyers. She is also a member of the Hispanic National Bar Association, where she previously served as the Regional Student Representative for Region XVI. Fluent in Spanish, she successfully used her bilingualism to provide language interpretation and translation services for Language Services NW prior to her legal career.
She received her B.A., magna cum laude, from Portland State University, and received her J.D., cum laude, from Willamette University College of Law, where she served as Willamette’s Liaison to the American Bar Association and as President of the Multicultural Law Student Association.
- Guided employers through considerations for remote employees teleworking out of state.
- Counseled employers on compliance with regulatory requirements for notice of wage and hour laws, including ensuring handbook policies are accurate and comply with current law.
- Counseled various employers on compliance with pandemic era legislation.
- Defended employers against discrimination and harassment claims in regulatory proceedings and pre-litigation demands.
- Drafted tuition reimbursement agreement for local real estate employer.
- Assisted in defending federal agency against claims brought under the FMLA. The Ninth Circuit affirmed the district court’s finding of fact and conclusions of law in a published opinion.
- Negotiated private settlement for local coffee business accused in agency proceedings of discrimination in public accommodations.
- Assisted university in responding to demand for a breach of contract claim.
- Counseled university on various matters including issues involving intellectual property, Title IX and NCAA compliance, and release agreements.
Professional Experience and Affiliations▲▼
- Oregon Women Lawyers: Member (2020-present)
- Oregon Women Lawyers Foundation: Board Member (2020-present); Ex Officio Board Member (2020)
- Willamette University Clinical Law Program, Business Clinic: Legal Intern (2020)
- United States Attorney’s Office, Portland: Certified Law Clerk (2019-2020)
- Willamette University College of Law: Assistant to General Counsel (2019-2020)
- Hispanic National Bar Association: Region XVI, Regional Student Representative (2019-2020)
- Casetext: Student Ambassador (2019-2020)
- Oregon Supreme Court with Chief Justice Walters: Externship (2019)
- Legal Aid Services of Oregon, Statewide Taxpayer Clinic: Externship (2018)
- U.S.D.C. with Honorable Magistrate Judge John V. Acosta, D. of Oregon: Internship (2018)
- American Constitution Society: Diversity & Inclusion Liaison (2018-2019); Social Media Chair
- Language Services NW: Business Coordinator (2010-2020)
- Code for America: Client Success Manager (2017)
- Multnomah County: Case Manager Senior with Bienestar de la Familia Program (2010-2017)
- Private Law Practice: Office Coordinator & Interpreter (2008-2009)
- Willamette Law Pro Bono Award Recipient (2018, 2019, 2020)
- Hispanic Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce Scholarship Award (2018)
- Hispanic Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce Leadership Development, Class VII (2013)
- Multnomah County Chair’s Excellence Award (2013)
- National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA) Lunch & Learn: “What Employers Need to Know About PPP Loans,” Presenter (3/31/21)
- Willamette University College of Law, WU Stream: “Leading the Racial Justice Task Force,” Panelist (3/2/21)
- Willamette University College of Law: “Dean Gallini’s Academic Excellence Series,” Panelist (2/8/21)
- Featured by Univision Portland: “COVID-19 Vaccination & Employer Implications,” Interviewee (12/17/20)
- Willamette Law Student Panelist (2018, 2020)
- LatCrit Symposium Student Scholar Panelist (2019)
- Oregon State Bar Diversity & Inclusion Opportunities for Law in Oregon Student Panelist (2018)
- “California Retroactively Renews COVID-19 Paid Sick Leave,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, March 26, 2021
- “Is it Time to Implement a Telework Policy & Remote Work Agreement?,” Cascade Business News, March 17, 2021
- “California Family Rights Act Including More Oregon Employers,” Oregon Business Report, March 10, 2021
- “California Family Rights Act Expanded to Include More Northwest Employers,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, March 1, 2021
- “Key Considerations When Your Employees Work Remotely from Outside Your State,” Industrial Gurus, February 3, 2021
- “The Use of Peremptory Challenges during Criminal Jury Selection in Oregon,” Report of the Willamette University College of Law Racial Justice Task Force, Member & Co-Author, February 2021
- “Key Considerations When Employees Work Remotely Outside the State,” Daily Journal of Commerce, January 22, 2021
- “What Employers Need to Know About PPP Changes,” Oregon Business Report, January 11, 2021
- “Federal Stimulus Update Part 1: What Employers Need to Know About the PPP,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, January 4, 2021
- “Oregon Law Restricts Healthcare Employers Who Want to Require COVID-19 Vaccination,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, December 31, 2020
- “This Is Just In! - FFCRA Leave To Be Voluntary in 2021,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, December 22, 2020
- “Interpreter Services for Limited English Proficient Insureds Are Reasonable and Necessary,” Harvard Latinx Law Review, LatCrit Symposium Essay, December 2020
- “What the Oregon Travel Advisory Means for Employees,” Oregon Business Report, December 3, 2020
- “Does the State’s New Travel Advisory Mean That My Employees Have To Quarantine for 2 Weeks if They Travel for the Thanksgiving Holiday?,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, November 24, 2020
- “Oregon OSHA Temporary Rule Creates Big To-Do Lists With Quick Deadlines for Oregon Employers,” Cascade Business News, November 18, 2020
- Portland Trail Blazers: BlazersU Willamette Campus Representative (2019-2020)
- Oregon Food Bank: Board Member (2014-2017); Network Partnership Committee Chair (2017)